Sammut Developments are a multi-award winning developer of prestige residential apartments and homes. Over the past five years they have worked on several projects with Smart Home Solutions, one of the most notable being the Coast apartments in Cronulla, on Sydney’s southern beaches. This development won the 2008 Master Builders Association award for home units $1 million and over, and every apartment sold off-the-plan at record prices for the area.
The Smart Home Solution
The Coast development consisted of four luxury apartments, each with four bedrooms and occupying an entire floor of the building. The brief from the developer was for the provision of fully integrated systems for automation, audio visual, lighting, security and access control.
Ease of use was paramount, and the system had to virtually disappear into the interior design to maintain the clean, minimalist look. The new occupants of each apartment would need to be able to use the system to its full potential straight away, but have room for expansion in the future if required. Finally, it all had to be achieved at a realistic cost.
For each of the four apartments, Smart Home Solutions designed and implemented integrated systems for:
- A dedicated media room with a home theatre system based around a 50” Pioneer plasma screen. The integrated control in this room allows the owner to see who’s at the door and allow access without having to leave the comfort of the lounge
- Multi-room audio with four separate zones indoors and outdoors, controlled by an integrated system of Philips Dynalite wall panels, RTI remotes and a Crestron touch screen
- Distribution of free-to air, pay-TV and DVD video to multiple televisions throughout the apartment, with facility to add additional screens to extra bedrooms as required
- Automated lighting control from Philips Dynalite, covering each apartment as well as common areas, programmed to require the bare minimum user intervention
- Fully integrated security for each apartment as well as garage and storage areas
- Structured cabling for the digital PABX phone system and LAN
- Access control from street level, from the waterfront side of the building and for vehicle entry
“We’ve done quite a few projects with Smart Home Solutions over the last five years,,” said Allen Sammut. Why? “Because they do it all – A/V, lighting, security, intercom. There’s no passing the buck, they take care of everything from cabling schematics to final fitout. It’s a smooth operation.”
Sammut Developments love pushing the envelope when it comes to new technology. Another big reason they like to work with Smart Home Solutions is that they too push the envelope. “The guys at SHS are proactive – they’ll come to me with something new and we’ll often see straight away how that will work for us,” said Sammut. “They don’t rest on their laurels – like us they like to go to the next level and try new technology and new approaches.”
A recurring theme is Smart Home Solutions’ service and backup support. “Their service has been great from day one,” said Sammut. “They’re always accessible, which is important to us.”
Perhaps most importantly, Smart Home Solutions’ focus on usability is a big plus for Sammut. “A lot of our buyers are older generation, so ease of use is the number one factor. What we want is the ‘wow factor’ plus ease of use. When we’ve got that, we’re on a winner.”
Sammut Developments and Smart Home Solutions have a number of new projects in the pipeline, in both apartment developments and stand-alone homes.